Every winter, I go crazy with seasonal flavors. There’s egg nog, gingerbread and my ultimate favorite-peppermint. I had some extra semi-sweet chocolate leftover from my last recipe Best Homemade Hot Chocolate and decided to make a batch of cookies.
Today, I’ve got a recipe for Peppermint Chocolate Chunk cookies. The key is to balance the right amount of chocolate with peppermint. After a day of experimentation, I found the perfect peppermint chocolate cookie combination.
The only two ingredients that I had to go out and buy were the candy canes and mint extract. My local grocery store had the candy canes for the low price of 98 cents a pack. Mint extract can be found in the spice isle, but I highly recommend getting peppermint extract if you can find it.
After making the cookie batter, I rolled the batter into balls and coated them with a peppermint-sugar mixture. My peppermint to sugar ratio was 2:1. However, it can easily be modified the amount to suit your personal taste. Bonus: the extras create a delicious peppermint sugar blend.
Peppermint Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Serving: makes 30 cookies
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup) at room temperature
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp mint extract (or 1/4 tsp peppermint extract)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Andes Mints
- 1/4 cup candy cane pieces (2 large candy canes)
- 1/8 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (that’s 177 degrees Celsius).
- Mix the butter, sugar, egg, vanilla extract and mint extract in a small bowl
- In a larger bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Add the butter-sugar mixture to the flour mixture slowly. Mix them together until they are thoroughly combined.
- Combine the crushed candy cane pieces with the powdered sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll the cookie batter into small round balls and coat them with the candy cane-sugar mixture.
- Place them onto a parchment lined cookie sheet 1 inch apart and bake for approximately 8 minutes.
- Wait for the cookies to cool and enjoy!