I’ve always been a hot chocolate fanatic. Granted, I’m not the biggest fan of those powdery packets or pre-made cocoa but I still love the idea of a delicious and decadent chocolate drink. Anytime I would visit a hotel, my sister and I would scourge the coffee station for a packet of cocoa.
This winter I’ve gone through countless recipes for the perfect hot chocolate. After trying out countless recipes I found the perfect one! The real secret to make good hot chocolate is using real chocolate and heavy cream.
So here it is:
Best Homemade Hot Chocolate
Serving Size: 1 very large mug or 4 small espresso cups
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 10 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp caramel sauce (optional)
- Marshmallows (optional)
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- Pour the milk into a very small saucepan on low heat. Slowly, stir in the semi-sweet chocolate. You want to constantly stir the chocolate to make sure it doesn’t stick to the sides of the pan.
- Once the mixture is of a brown color yet the chocolate chips are not completely melted, add in the heavy cream and the caramel sauce. Then, bring the heat to a boil.
- Continuously mix the mixture while the cocoa boils. Make sure the remaining chocolate chips are completely dissolved.
- Pour your finished hot cocoa into a mug. The final product will be thick and chocolaty, add in more milk for the desire consistency. Top the hot chocolate off with marshmallows, whipped cream, powder sugar and cinnamon.
*You can replace the semi-sweet chocolate chips with milk chocolate.